Tuesday, August 28, 2012

The sense of smell

According to Wikipedia, “perfume is a mixture of fragrant essential oils or aroma compounds, fixatives, and solvents used to give the human body, animals, objects, and living spaces "a pleasant scent".

But your favourite perfume can be so much more than just “a pleasant scent”. It can bring you back to the 50s, make you think of sunny days or of the beach, give you that little ‘humpf’ you might need on a Monday morning, or make you feel a mysterious, dangerous and sophisticated woman.

In the words of our bloggers, our favourite scents and why.




1. Chanel Coco Mademoiselle

MAP: It’s a classic. And it reminds of the 50s, when women’s beauty routine would consist solely of talcum powder and perhaps a dusting of light perfume; so clean, pure and womanly.

2. Chanel Chance

B: It has a light fresh tone to it, but with a 'humpf'. I discovered it with a sample while buying a lipstick, and I use it since. It makes me so sophisticated and grown up when I wear it!

3. Dior J’adore

XX: I like its name, the shape of the bottle, the voice in the commercial, and its mature and long lasting scent.

4. Dior Poison

XX: My favourite! But only for special occasion: it’s sexy, charming, enchanting, flirty and naughty, yet it would suit all ages. I haven’t been naughty that often so a miniature bottle is perfect!

5. Chopard Happy Spirits

T: I like it because it’s sweet, unexpected and kind of exclusive.

6. Guerlain Kiwi

XX: This is my everyday scent. Fruity but not too sweet and very light, just the way I like it. It’s a surprise for the man kissing your neck, perfect for the summer time, but equally great in horrible weather as its freshness will make you smile.

7. Lacome Miracle

XX: I like it purely because it’s my first perfume! Like your first love, you don’t need a reason to like it, and you probably can’t even remember why you liked it after so many years!

8. Marc Jacobs Daisy

H: I really love Daisy, and men seem to really like it too. I find it a sexy yet innocent fragrance, which fits perfectly my lifestyle here in Sydney: a beach-sun-fun type of fragrance yet still womanly and graceful.

9. Jo Malone Vanilla & Anise Cologne

C: I find the fragrance very grown up, but sweet at the same time. It’s perfect when I want to feel like a graceful woman, wearing something complex but classy. By the way, the Vitamine E Nourishing Hand Treatment is incredible!

What is your favourite perfume?


2 comments: